Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sharing the love!

For some odd reason, I've come across people doing nice things for me and saying nice things about me the last couple of days. Being the compulsive, unrepentant braggart that I am, I'd like to share them with you now...

The Bus Leagues Experience: Volume 2 - This is a book from the writers of Busleaguesbaseball.com, a web site dedicated to covering minor league baseball. I was interviewed by Michael Lortz this past summer and they saw fit to include that in their latest volume of collected "best of". You can buy it here from Amazon.com and read some misty, water-colored memories of my days with the dearly departed Tampa Tarpons of the Florida State League, as well as some not-very-nice things about the way the Tampa Sports Authority conducted business back in the '80s (that can't possibly come back to haunt me, can it? Nahhhhh) among interviews on more than 50 other baseball personalities (I think my thing in 2012 will be to start referring to myself as a "personality"; I figure that would be easier than actually having one). You can also buy Volume 1 while you're there, although I'm not in that one. Thanks to Eric Angevine, Chris Fee, Scott Grauer, Brian Moynahan, Tamara Swindler and especially Michael Lortz. 

Silverwood Technology - My friend Brent Silverwood is a guy I went to school with back in Michigan and he now works in technology. I know nothing specific about what he does or technology itself. As far as I'm concerned, that is his job: "What does Brent do?" "Technology." "What, he makes it, markets it? What kind of technology? Medical, automotive?" "Yes.".
If you had told me that the kid that was befuddled by the onions we dropped into his fruit punch that we had told him were tiny ice cubes would grow up to be employed in the technology industry, I would have spewed fruit punch from my nose. Of course, as dumb as we all were as kids, I'm sure our classmates (and probably our parents) would be amazed that we grew up without drowning ourselves while putting on a pair of shoes or getting run over by a car chasing a balloon out into traffic or something, so there's that. Anyway, Brent has started blogging and look what he wrote in his very first post:
"...this will be my forum for those lessons and philosophical regurgitation of my education and experience.  I am also inspired by Clark Brooks' Ridiculously Inconsistent Trickle of Consciousness (the all too clever writings of a high school friend"
High praise indeed! I'm sincerely flattered!

The Spencerian - Somehow I missed this when it came out in August, but this was posted when I was knee-deep in my annual mock-non-campaign for Creative Loafing's Best of the Bay award. You may recall that Peter Schorsch complimented me but stated his case for why I, and others, shouldn't win the award. Well, Benjamin Kirby who publishes The Spencerian took issue with Peter's opinion and dropped this nugget in his response:
First of all, Clark is an interesting and very talented writer.


Honestly, that means more to me than winning an award (Creative Loafing voters, please disregard this sentence next summer). Thanks Ben!

Serge Lavange - Who? I have no idea. The email I received says it's an account manager for a company that "aggregate job adverts around the world" whatever the hell that means. I suspect it's somebody...or something...that uses some sort of MadLibs-inspired algorithm to search blogs for words and phrases from the authors blogs and profiles and then use them in emails to those authors in an attempt to establish some sort of false familiarity. I could be wrong, although I'm pretty sure neither David Sedaris nor Chuck Palaniuk have written books titled "Anything". I've copied and pasted it here, so you be the judge. At any rate, he/she/it seems to enjoy the blog, so thanks and have an excellent mood yourself!

Hello!



I'm so glad that someone else reads books :) I found Anything by David Sedaris in your profile, it is one of my favorite ones! By the way, I do not know if you read Anything by Chuck Palahniuk, I can recommend it to you, I think you should like it.


I just want to thank you for your wonderful blog clarkjbrooks.blogspot.com.


I read the post "This is glue. Strong stuff." and then I spent another hour on your blog by reading your posts with pleasure :) Every article is interesting and easy to read. I really like the "A Budget-Conscious Tourist's Tale".


I work for XXX company, we aggregate job adverts around the world.


My job is to persuade bloggers to link to our site.


I really love my job! We have a friendly team and good management, but unfortunately I have no idea how to convince a blogger to link to us, I'm afraid I might lose my job because of it :(


And that is why, instead of sending letters to thousands of different blogs, I am reading yours.

Honestly, I am not really sure if the link to our website in United States - XXX.com, will be appropriate for your blog, but if you believe it will and it is possible to add it, I would be really grateful to you! Our site is really cool, it can greatly help hundreds of people to find a job.


I wish you to have a good day and excellent mood! Thanks again for your nice blog. Write more! Thanks!


Best regards,


Serge Lavange
Account Manager

No comments: