Monday, May 28, 2007

A short conversation about personal philosophies

"One thing you should know about me is I go for it all the time. The credo I live by is caveat emptor, which is Latin for seize the day."

"Really? I'm not sure that's what that means..."

"Of course it is. It's basic Latin. 'Caveat' means 'at the cave' which is, unfortunately, where most cavemen would be seized by dinosaurs and 'emptor' means 'emperor' who decreed that there should be seven days in a week."

"Well, I don't think that cavemen invented Latin, or that there was such a thing as emperor of the cavemen. I'm pretty sure that caveat emptor means buyer beware. Carpe diem means seize the day."

"No, carpe diem is the money they give you when you travel out of town for work. But buyer beware is a pretty good credo to live by too."

No comments: