Thursday, January 10, 2008

A short conversation about dreams


"Hey, I'm pretty upset about what you wrote in my going away card."


"What, that I hope all of your dreams come true?"


"Yeah, that. Thanks. Thanks a lot. You jerk."


"You have got to be kidding me. How could that possibly upset you?"


"Dreams aren't supposed to come true. Dreams are unattainable, impossible things you can only wish and hope for. They're what keep us going in life, striving ever onward. That's why they're dreams, stupid. If they came true, they'd just be things that happen, like every other tedious, boring thing in life. Don't you understand? The second the impossible happens, it ceases being impossible, and therefor, it becomes just another common occurrence, like every other damn dull, mundane circumstance."


"So wait a minute. If you dreamt all your life of one day seeing a real, live unicorn and all of a sudden, one just appeared in front of you..."


"I'd say, 'oh great, a stupid horse with a horn on it's head. I guess they'll be all over the place now. Who's going to clean up after them? Me probably'."


"Gee, I never thought of it that way before but it kind of makes sense. I suppose it would have been better if I had written 'I hope none of your dreams ever come true' instead."


"Well, now you're just being mean."

No comments: