Sunday, February 17, 2008

A short conversation about principles

"Look out, that guy isn't stopping."

"It's all right, we have the right of way."

"Well...yeah. That's fine, but while the right of way and rule of law may prove useful in determining fault after an accident, it doesn't prevent the accident itself."

"Don't worry about it. He's the one who's supposed to stop. See? there are signs everywhere."

"I agree. But it would appear he either hasn't noticed those signs or he doesn't care."

"Well, then an accident would be his fault, not mine."

"Ok...sure...but what if we die in a car accident that could have been prevented if you had simply forfeited your right to be, uh, right? I don't think I'm going to feel a sense of pride, or anything else, if that happens. I mean, I haven't planned what my last words will be but I don't want them to 'Ha ha, take that, living!' Plus, I'm pretty sure if we get to heaven and have to explain what happened, they're not going to let us into regular heaven. There's probably some sort of remedial heaven for the righteous-but-stupid, where instead of a halo, they give you a helmet. I really don't want to go to remedial heaven. So while I gladly acknowledge that you are correct and are well within the established legal paramaters for operating a motor vehicle, could you just let this guy go ahead, just this once, as a personal favor to me. Please?"

"He stopped."

"Oh. Well, step on it then. Let's go."

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Remedial Heaven -- where you get a helmet instead of a halo. I really get a kick out of such thinking.