Friday, August 01, 2008

Dayum!


There's an awful lot of news out there and it's hard to process all of it, so often I just settle for scanning headlines. Sometimes, I come across a headline that makes me stop and say "Wait a minute; what did that say?" and then read the story behind it. The kind of headline that reads "Bus passenger beheaded seat mate", for instance. The kind of story under a headline like this usually makes me say not "Darn!" or "Damn!" but "Dayum!"
Seriously, just how out of your mind with anger do you have to be where you actually cut someone's head off? Not just want to, which everyone does from time to time, but actually do it? Now, I can tell you from first-hand experience that riding a bus will indeed make you out-of-your-everlovin'-peapickin'-mind angry. First of all, the bus itself will do it. Busses are hot, cramped, noisy, slow-moving and crowded with people who are at least as miserable about it as you are. Then there's all the time you have to sit there and consider what you've done wrong in your life to find yourself in that situation. That is not a combination of circumstances that lend itself to zen. And I don't mean to sound flippant about murder, but hey, shit happens. Especially when you're angry. Still, I don't think that's enough to get anybody to the point where simply stabbing someone repeatedly is, sure, an emphatic statement but still needs some sort of exclamation point or cherry on top to, you know, really drive that point home.
I don't know.
Dayum!

No comments: