Monday, December 08, 2008

The Ducks Who Run

Ever wonder what goes through the ducks' minds when they realize you aren't chasing them?

"Hey, I think we're safe. He's not following us anymore."
"That's a relief. We've managed to escape certain death yet again."
"You know, I'm not sure he was ever following us at all. It looks like he's just going to the mailbox. I think he just happened to be walking in our general direction coincidentally"
"Well, you can't be too careful. Lots of people shoot and eat us."
"I know, but..."
"But what?"
"It's just that we've lived in this apartment complex for years and we've never been shot at. Not even once."
"So what are you saying? We should just completely let our guard down?"
"Well, no. I'm just thinking it's a shame that we automatically react so drastically. I mean, who's to say that guy isn't cool? We didn't even give him a chance."
"I guess you have a point. Geez, now I feel kind of bad."
"Me too. But what's worse is there's no telling how many potentially great relationships with people we've missed out on because we flee every time they approach."
"That's true. I hadn't thought of that before. We'll never know, but some of them might even have been willing to share some good ideas and help us solve some of the many problems that have plagued the duck community for years."
"Or might have had some scraps of bread to give us."
"God DAMN it, you're right! I totally did not even consider that possibility!"

"Why do we do this, running in fear every time somebody who doesn't look like us approaches?"
"Perceiving every encounter with a stranger as a threat to our lives."
"It's no way to live."
"Well, I'm done. I refuse to live in a constant state of panic. No more, from this day forward."
"Look out, little girl riding her bike, right behind us."
"Holy crap, it never ends! Let's get the hell out of here."

No comments: