Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Carol's Corner: Hooked on phonics

Here's my mom again. I think she's starting to like blogging. It's a healthy way to express your frustrations. I'll bet she wishes she'd had a blog when I was a kid, ha ha!! (shaddup) I told her she can chime in whenever she wants so I'll be listing all her contributions under "Carol's Corner". I'm calling it that because I'm an adult now and I can use the given name of my parents if I want to. Now I have to go because I think I hear one of the cats chewing on my wind-up robot dinosaur.

Hey, it's Clark's mom again and I really need to vent. Clark said I could write anytime so I figured that this is the perfect place.
One day last week I need to fill my gas tank. I pull up to the pumps, get out and find a hand printed sign on the pump saying:

Incert credit card exactly like the picture.

What??
A few years back I saw the following sign in the window of another gas station:
No personal checks accepted. No acceptions.

I work in an automotive manufacturing plant and this winter over one of the men's rooms doors was the sign:
Plese wipe feet.

The thing that really bothered me about this one is that I mentioned it to at least two dozen other people and none of them even noticed the spelling. How can you NOT notice it? These things scream out to me when I see them. I guess that both correct spelling and just being observant are now things of the past.
Okay, I feel better now.

4 comments:

Ruprecht said...

Rupe encounters asshatrical instructions all the time. (Often, he commits them his ownself .....)

Incert credit card exactly like the picture.The thing that really bothers Rupe about this? Well ... there's a picture or diagram showing how the card's 'posed to go in ... right? See any fingers attached to the end of that card, inserting the card into the slot?

Therein, the problem. Do you have any idea how many times I've stood there and flicked my credit card and/or debit card toward one of those slots in the dim hope it will not only land within the slot, but deep enough to register in the machine?

And let's not even discuss getting it out again. There're no instructions for THAT .....

Ruprecht <----- frustrated, but dealing with it

Denise said...

carolscorner.blogspot.com, anyone?

I know you like having mommy around, Clark, but I'd sure love to have another blog to read!

- D

Gail said...

Carol, I agree with you 100%!

Unknown said...

Gotta agree.Your mom needs her own blog,but we may all defect to her's......