Friday, December 07, 2012

A short conversation in Woodbury, Georgia

"Hi there! What can I do for you today?"
"Hello. I'm looking for work. It's rough out there."
"Hey, you don't have to tell me! Rough isn't even the word for it."
"Yeah, I'm sure you know what's going on."
"Better than many, my friend. Believe me."
"So I came across your town here and I have to say, all things considered, it looks pretty good."
"Well, thank you! We're quite proud of it."
"I'd go so far as to call it idyllic. Parts of it, anyway. I mean, overall, it seems nicer than where I lived before the whole, well, you know."
"Idyllic! Why, that's wonderful! I'll pass along your kind words to the top management. I'm sure he'll appreciate it. So tell me a little about you."
"Sure! Well, I can run really good. I'm fast, elusive, lots of endurance."
"Obviously! Ha ha!"
"Ha! Yeah! Anyway, I never really had much experience with weapons but it turns out that I'm a pretty good shot. Also, I'm a whole lot better at stabbing than I ever would have guessed. Not sure I needed to learn that about myself..."
"Hey, we do what we have to do right?"
"Yes, that's right. But where I think I can really be an asset to Woodbury is my specialized skills; I'm a doctor. A surgeon, in fact. And when I was a kid, my dad was a mechanic and taught me all about engine repair."
"That is impressive!"
"Thank you!"
"How are you at coming and going?"
"... coming and going? What's that?"
"You know, coming here and then leaving and going there. That kind of thing."
"I... I'm not sure I understand."
"See, I don't know if you noticed but Woodbury just has the one main street in the middle of these walls and buildings and a great deal of what people do here is come and go between the buildings, crossing the street, just kind of milling around."
"What's the point of that?"
"It just kind of creates a general sense of hubbub. Keeps folks' minds occupied, gives them something to do."
"Oh, I see."
"We have a security force and they're busy doing all kinds of... well, I'd rather not go into detail about what they do."
"Sure, I understand."
"So we're kind of stocked up in the whole 'specialty skills' department."
"Ah. Okay."
"But we can always use more hubbub! If you're interested, that is."
"That'd be fine! Why don't you uncuff me from this table and I'll see if I can demonstrate my coming and going ability for you? Please don't judge too harshly; one of your security personnel smashed me in the forehead with a rifle butt and I am a tad woozy."
"Ooooh, not sure we're ready to take that step yet. Let me hear how you would sound if it was necessary for you to murmur in a large crowd first."

No comments: