Wednesday, December 11, 2013

People: The worst

People ruin everything.
Doubt the validity of that broad swipe at humanity? Think of one thing that used to be better than it is now whose decline can't be directly traced back to human beings screwing it up.
Can't do it, can you? no. And do you know why? Because people ruin everything.
Amusement park rides? Pro sports? Movies? The Grand Canyon? All destroyed. I'll give you a more recent, relevant and important example: my dinner last Friday.
I got off from work a little earlier than I thought I would and decided to treat myself to dinner at Jimbo's, my favorite local BBQ joint. Early for me, but a little later than the standard Friday dinner rush, so the place was basically empty, with only one table occupied when I got there. Here's a not-to-scale drawing of the dining room layout...

Okay, so there's one table occupied when I arrive. Those people are sitting here...

So I decide to sit here...

See how we have our own little territories? Not all up in each others business, enjoying the peace and privacy. Nice! Except guess where this jamoke who shows up after I've ordered my food decides to sit? Right HERE...

That's right, there are 20 empty tables and he picks THAT ONE. Not only THAT table, but THAT seat, facing me. Not only is he staring at me as I'm trying to eat, I have no choice but to look at him while I'm eating, unless I want to look weird and awkward by obviously making an effort to look elsewhere and not look at him. Then things get worse when a couple on a date shows up and sits here...

Aw, come on! Four tables of customers and three of them all smooshed up into one corner of the whole restaurant. And the couple is one of those that sits on the same side because they love each other or whatever and either don't know or don't care how much the rest of us hate it when they do that shit. For my part, I become incredibly self-conscious. How could I not? These people have arranged their seating like I'm there to perform for their dining pleasure. Any hope I had of barbecue sauce running down my arm and making loud slurping noises as I drank the last of my sweet tea with an entire rib, bone and all, stuck between my teeth, were gone. In fact, every time they picked up their phones (because I can see their every move) I worried that I was doing something YouTube-worthy. Instead, I found myself cutting the meat off my ribs with a knife and a fork like I'm a member of British Parliament, leaving behind perfectly good meat that I could have easily just sucked right off the bone, all the while dabbing at the corners of my mouth with a napkin.
In other words, my dinner was ruined. Why? Because of people. They're just the worst.

No comments: