Friday, October 02, 2015

Lies and the dumb ass liars who tell them

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) questioned Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards in front of the House Oversight Committee on Tuesday. Here's how that went... more or less. I mean you could watch the video of the actual exchange by clicking on this text but the following loosely interpreted transcription pretty much gives you the gist.

RICHARDS: None of the dollars you are discussing are federal dollars and the Planned Parenthood Federation of America receives almost no federal dollars. At this point, only $21 thousand...
CHAFFETZ: (shakes head sadly) You do know that all dollars are federal dollars, right? Only the American government is allowed to print money in America. Private companies can't do that.
RICHARDS: Right, but...
CHAFFETZ: I'm just saying.
RICHARDS: Okay, well...
CHAFFETZ: So it goes to the same organization and you just separate that all out.
RICHARDS: Like any organization that operates with a budget to manage resources? Yeah. We do that. We are highly accountable...
CHAFFETZ: I've gone over my time. I need to show this last slide.
RICHARDS: You keep interrupting me...
CHAFFETZ: I do that a lot. Let's not fixate on it. (gestures to slide) Now, this one I don't understand... part of the challenge is you don't do mammograms!
RICHARDS: I'm sorry, I...
CHAFFETZ: You don't do mammograms, correct? There's, like, one or two places that does them but you don't do mammograms.
RICHARDS: Planned Parenthood is a women's health center...
CHAFFETZ: I suppose you don't sell phone cards either.
RICHARDS: Excuse me?
CHAFFETZ: Phone cards, for when you want to call long distance. 7-Eleven has them but they don't do mammograms, just like you. But at least they sell phone cards. And beef jerky. I checked your corporate report and you have sold exactly zero beef jerky. You're basically operating a 7-Eleven that kills babies instead of selling beef jerky and phone cards! Why should the American taxpayers fund a poorly run convenience store?
RICHARDS: I'm sorry, I don't see the relevance...
CHAFFETZ: Exactly.
RICHARDS: Planned Parenthood is a women's health center. If you need a mammogram, you're referred to a radiological center and that's how women receive their care. And we provide breast exams to... I can get you the numbers of how many hundreds of thousands of women received breast exams at Planned Parenthood last year. It has nothing to do with this slide you're showing me for the first time. I have no idea what it is.
SOURCE: "Slides For Dummies: Liar's Edition"

CHAFFETZ: It's the reduction over the course of years, in pink, because that's boobs, in breast exams and the red, for baby blood, is the increase in abortions! That's what's going on in your organization!
RICHARDS: This is a slide that has never been shown to me before and I'm happy to take a look at it it but it absolutely does not reflect what's happening at Planned Parenthood.
CHAFFETZ: You're going to deny that these are arrows, and that one of them is pointing up while the other is pointing down? Just look at the pointy things on the ends! Those are CLEARLY arrows! I think I've made my point. That being, arrows are pointy and can face any number of directions, including up and down.
RICHARDS: It doesn't feel like we're trying to get to the truth here.
CHAFFETZ: I pulled those numbers directly out of your corporate reports.
RICHARDS: My lawyer is informing me that the source of this is actually Americans United For Life which is an anti-abortion group, so I would check your source.
CHAFFETZ: Ummm, oops?
"Yeah, check your source. Bitch."

No comments: