Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Let me out!

A friend of mine is getting a group together to do one of these escape rooms that are very popular right now, because she enjoys group activities. And because I like dreading things and complaining about them before I even have a valid reason to do so, I'm already stressed out.
The very definition of what it is implies that it's supposed to be stressful:
"An escape room is a physical adventure game in which players solve a series of puzzles using clues, hints and strategy to complete the objectives at hand. Players are given a set time limit to unveil the secret plot which is hidden within the rooms." - via Wikipedia
The waiver she sent over (There's a waiver??) backs this up:
"I certify that I understand this activity has potential risks including but not limited to:
  • Mental stress and anxiety from simulated game events
  • Mental stress and anxiety that may be triggered from my teammates actions and behaviors
  • The possible failure to escape in the allotted time"

Insert exasperated groan here. I just don't know that this a good team activity for me, in large part because it's a team activity.
It does give me an idea though...

RELAX ROOMS

"A relax room is a non-physical, non-adventure game in which players sit on a couch and read books, maybe watch TV or just sack out." - Me.
FAQ
Are there riddles to solve?
Nope.

Will someone be there to help us figure out clues if we get stuck?
There are no riddles so there are no clues.

How much time do we have?
Take as much time as you need, man.

What if I don't like what's on the TV?
The remote is on the coffee table.

What if I start to freak out and have to be let out?
The door is right there, just past the TV.

Is there some kind of puzzle or trick to open the door?
Dude. No.

No comments: