Sunday, November 25, 2007

i h8 txt msgs


In case you don't know, the title above says "I hate text messages" and I do. I find them impersonal and dismissive. When someone sends a text message instead of just calling you, what they're really saying is "I want to impart and/or exchange information but you're really not worth wasting my aural faculties". It's like sending a post-it note instead of a greeting card, which is something you send when you can't be bothered to actually visit someone in the first place. Maybe it's silly to feel this way but I do.
Someone I know who now communicates only by sending text messages told me (way back when we were still having actual in-person conversations) "You're a writer. You should love text messaging!" Well, I want to communicate exclusively via writing about as much as a musical theatre actor wants to communicate exclusively via elaborate song and dance numbers. I like being able to at least hear someones voice sometimes, if not actually look at their face once in a while. Is that so wrong? Besides, writing text messages isn't really writing anyway. The "language" of text messaging consists of dollops of leet-style shorthand delivered in short, abrupt, snippy-sounding bursts. It's very difficult to gauge the mood and meaning behind the messages, not to mention the actual messages themselves. If somebody sends me a text that says "im bldg 2dth!!!!!!!" I don't know if they're bleeding to death or just really excited about building a double-decker treehouse. And I don't buy the convenience excuse either. The fastest text messenger in the world can not find out if someone wants to go to the movies faster than I can with one phone call. The only way it's more convenient to send text messages instead of actually talking to someone is if you simply don't want to talk to them. And that saddens me.
But unfortunately, now that so many people are choosing to text message instead of talk, I have little choice but to give in and go with the flow. As such, I won't be the least bit surprised to exchange Christmas gifts via text message this year. I'm really xcited about that bcuz im sure it will b the most festv & hrtwrmg xmas evr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol : (

No comments: