Friday, November 21, 2008

The sun has set in Philadelphia again


Last night was the season finale of my favorite television show "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia", so now I'm sad. If you didn't watch it, you're only hurting yourself. Although, I will be the first to admit that this was not their strongest season, it was still hilarious.
Why do I love this show so much? Because I enjoy watching terrible people doing terrible, terrible things. As a terrible person who does terrible things, I feel akin to these obnoxious, self-centered and dumb characters. For examples, one of my favortite board games is Slurbble. Slurbble is exactly the same game as Scrabble, but the overriding rule is that any word is allowed, as long as it can be used in a racial or religious slur (biggest, and only, dispute that comes up during games: if something is mostly true, is it still a slur? Arguments and hilarity often ensue).
I don't think I'm alone either. Who identifies with any of the characters on a show like "Friends"? Nobody I know, that's for sure. On the other hand, I recognize common behavior on every single episode of "Sunny".
Beyond that, I think the show is extremely well written and that the performers are all perfectly cast. So I feel obligated to do whatever I can to promote quality television, lest we wind up with another "Arrested Development" situation.
Plus, I've never really latched onto a 'cult' phenomenon like "Star Trek" or "The Big Lebowski" or anything like that and I kind of want to. I want to attend conventions where people dress in sleeveless t-shirts and short shorts, huff paint, do 'Charlie Work' and the ratio of men to women is four to one. Oh, wait a minute...

No comments: