Monday, September 14, 2009

I'll never grow up either

I got a chance to meet Peter Pan the other night! The real Peter Pan? Well, he's a real guy (his legal name is Randy Constan) who chooses to live as Peter Pan. As far as I know there isn't another, so, yeah. He lives right here in Tampa but I'd never met him before. You may have seen him on tv (he's been on Kimmel and Conan among other shows) or visited his web site or maybe you're seeing him for the first time right here. You will undoubtedly form an opinion about him. You may already have done so. That's fine, that's human nature and it's your right. Just for the record, as far as I'm concerned, an individual expressing themselves and doing their thing, regardless of how far outside the mainstream that thing might be (as long as it isn't harming others, of course) is kind of how I define The American Dream. I love people like this and I'm thankful I live in a country where they can exist and I can interact with them.

Now...

That said, I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to make fun. I'm sorry, I'm just not that comfortable up on the high road. So here does...
I'm not going to talk about the tights.
I'm not going to talk about the fairy fixation.
I'm not going to talk about the androgyny.
I'm going to talk about the hair.
Dude. What is up with the hair? You can't walk around in public with a bowl cut like that without somebody like me making fun of it. In fact, that might be the most astounding bowl cut in the long, esteemed history of bowl cuts. Consider the historic predecessors...

Prince Valiant

Davey Jones of the Monkees

Tootie from "The Facts Of Life"

The Beatles

Dorothy Hammill

Pete Rose

Some anonymous doofus. Cripes! Seriously, who the hell is this clown?

4 comments:

LoveBees said...

Don't you ever pick on my Davy Jones. Awww, I'm just kidding, you know I love you.

Marissa said...

My first thought was, "why does he have Toni Tenille's hair do?"

peterpan said...

I think I'm in good company in the hair dept., as it seems this "do" was the choice of a lot of successful folks! But the bowl cut is a funny thing. Those who like them keep wearing them, and those that don't keep crying "fowl", and wondering why the first group doesn't care. And i cannot resist pointing out that a large number of those who poke fun at this hair style would not be able to grow one! :-)

Unknown said...

Like Cap'n Hook, I now know how it feels to be defeated by Peter Pan!