Thursday, June 24, 2010

Stardom 2.0

Every time I look at my IMDB page (which is quite often because as everyone knows, I'm a raging, preening narcissist), my popularity is down anywhere from 15% to 40% (this week it's down 35%). I don't understand how that is mathematically possible. It seems like it should have hit 0% a long time ago and just stopped. Unless it keeps going after 0% and is now tracking how unpopular I am, in which case, that is very, very sad.
Then this week I looked at Anne Sellors' IMDB page and I see that her popularity is up by 4,078,266% this week, a number that is truly mathematically impossible...but I understand why. Because we live in a culture where there are enough people on the internet to make the producers of an X-Men movie have a character say "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch", draw more attention to a movie like "Snakes on a Plane" than it could ever deserve on merit alone and get Betty White to host Saturday Night Live simply because they had nothing better to do. Knowing that, it's really not much of a surprise that these same people would stumble across an Archibald "Moonlight" Graham-like entry on the IMDB, with a woman's entire film career consisting of peeing herself in one movie over 25 years ago (Fun Fact: It has already taken you longer to read this than the entire time Ms. Sellors appeared on screen), and decide that this should be The Next Big Thing, at least for a while. That's just how things work these days...although I'd understand if some German actresses who specialize in certain very specialized sub genres of film might have a legitimate gripe.

No comments: