Monday, March 03, 2014

This is going to sound crazy...

...but I think somebody is mowing my lawn.
I moved in to the house back in September. At the time, the lawn was pretty shaggy, due to the house having been unoccupied for a little while. Not long, like the code enforcement people noticed and sent a city employee in with a tractor because the grass was so long that bobcats could hide in it. Just kind of sloppy. I got that taken care of right away, hiring some kid with a mower to cut the grass along with some weeds and crap that needed to be pulled. That was the one and only time I had the lawn mowed.
Winter time in Florida, not like everywhere else with the snow and ice and madness, is still cold enough for plants and tress and grass to go dormant, so the grass didn't grow for a long time. Lately, things are warming up again and I noticed that the grass was getting long again. I remember thinking I needed to find that kid's number soon and have him come out. Except today, the lawn looks like this:


That's nice and tight. Nowhere near needing to be mowed.

Further, to me this looks like somebody did some edging. Rain wouldn't have drawn that line between the leaves on the driveway and the edge of the lawn. At least not the small amount of rain we've had. At any rate, the grass is shorter than it was a week ago. Now, I'll readily admit that I don't know exactly all of the ins and outs of how grass works, but I'm pretty sure it either grows or dies. That's it. I don't think it grows and then changes its mind and then shrinks or retracts. Which means somebody came by when I wasn't home and cut my grass. I damn sure didn't do it; I don't even own a lawnmower and I'm not so inclined. In that case, either somebody made a mistake, cutting my grass instead of someone else's, or somebody did it out of the goodness of their heart. I think we can safely rule out the latter so now, while I'm happy to be the recipient, I still feel kind of bad that somebody did work for which they weren't paid. I'd feel worse except I'm taking enormous satisfaction in the fact that I have taken care of my lawn myself exactly one time in six months.

No comments: