Tuesday, August 26, 2014

All right, all right, I guess I want an award

Actually, click HERE, not up there.
There used to be a time when I would launch mock campaigns to try to win a "Loafie" award via Creative Loafing magazine's annual "Best of the Bay" surveys. These campaigns would include rivalries, endorsements and impassioned pleas, all with a tongue-in-cheek "ha-ha-I-know-I-won't-win-but-if-something-strange-happens-and-I-do-win-I-will-totally-accept-it" tone. I haven't done one of those since 2011 and there are a few valid reasons why:

  1. I never won.
  2. I think I've mined that territory for as much material as possible.
  3. I honestly don't care if I win or not. I know everybody says that and it's hip and artsy to act aloof and like you're above such petty things as trophies that symbolize acceptance and appreciation from the general public. But it's not that I don't want to win one; if I do, I would absolutely be thrilled and would show up at the ceremony to get it and then display it in a place of prominence. It's just that I don't really care whether or not I win one, and that's because I feel like I get plenty of positive feedback on a face-to-face level, which is more than gratifying.
All of that said, John Fontana, my friend and boss (Chief Editor) at Raw Charge, made notice of the 2014 Best of the Bay survey currently taking place and attached my name to it via Twitter.
That was nice of him and since he went to the trouble, I re-tweeted it. Since then, I've heard from a few people who actually went to the trouble of voting. 
Well, geez.
The survey is pretty extensive (long) and now that people have put forth the effort to make it a thing, I kind of feel like I should actually make something of a push to win, so as to justify the time people took to cast votes for me.
Nothing has really changed; I don't expect to win but would be thrilled if I did. Either way, it doesn't really change anything as my motivation for doing what I do is not derived from trophies. If you want to vote, do so here and thank you. If you don't, no big deal (If you don't live here or are not at least familiar with the area, please don't vote. As funny as I think it would be for Los Pollos Hermanos to win for Best Fried Chicken or Paddy's Pub for Best Bar, I don't want to see local merchants who really care about this stuff hosed by a skewed vote). I appreciate the effort or lack thereof equally. Because remember this sage philosophy:

"I don't wanna be a poet
Cuz I don't wanna blow it
I don't care 2 win awards
All I wanna do is dance
Play music, sex, romance
And try my best 2 never get bored" - Prince

No comments: