Friday, August 01, 2014

I think I'm good

I, like everybody else, am currently the direct result of every choice, circumstance, action and experience that has occurred in my life leading up to now. A few of those things were beyond my control and I guess they could be chalked up to fate. However, most of them happened because I exercised free will. I chose to do one thing over another. Based on whatever was in my head at the time, factoring in personal preferences, morality and what might best suit my immediate survival and/or long-term prospects, I made decisions that addressed immediate issues at that time and directly influenced my path going forward.
I, like everybody else, have no one else to blame or credit so I would best be suited by being okay with where I am in life.
I, like everybody else, have doubts of the "what if?" nature from time to time. Some people struggle with that more than others. Personally, I try to avoid that as much as possible. Aside from using it to avoid repeating a mistake, there's not a lot to be gained from dwelling in regret.
Still, while I usually think I'm doing all right over all, I do wonder if I'm on the right path. I generally don't take things very seriously. And all I've ever really wanted out of life is to help people be happy. Is that a worthwhile pursuit or is that just silly? I've certainly had my share of critics tell me it is. Has that kept me from reaching my true potential? Could I have had better jobs, made more money, been more of a "success"? Have I wasted my time? Should I have been doing something else, something different, something "better"? These questions don't torment me but sometimes I can't help asking them. What's problematic is that there's usually no answer. What's nice is that sometimes there is.
Last week, I got an unsolicited email from someone who has been struggling with some personal matters and who took time to write this...
"Thank you so much for always making me feel good about myself - you always seem to make me laugh when I need it most. Truly Clark, thank you."
Well, that clears things up rather nicely.
Thank YOU
(you know who you are)

No comments: