Friday, January 23, 2009

What's with all the yelling?

This is the preview trailer for a new movie coming out, "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans".

I was kind of intrigued with seeing it because for the first minute or so, it's presented like it's some sly gothic, Shakespearean treatise on race relations and class warfare. Then the screaming starts and I realize that there's going to be lot more of that than socio-political satire in the movie itself. That's why I didn't see "300":

If you were blind, you couldn't be blamed for thinking it's the same movie.

I get it. They're expressing intensity. But you know, believe it or not, it is possible to effectively convey a threat without yelling at the top of your lungs. Just ask Liam Neeson:

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Oh boy! I am so with you on this one. My son's favorite anime' shows have nothing but shouting. Without fail I have to ask him, "why are they screaming at each other?" His reply will be something like "they are intense, I guess."