Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mmm, yummy!

This is a "food" item I came across the other day that I'd like to share with you. Behold Mrs. Freshley's Race Cups! At least I think that's what they are...there is no mention of Race Cups at the Mrs. Freshley's official web site. That's a little odd. I mean, no offense to Mrs. Freshley or the people who work for her (you know, I'll bet there isn't even a real Mrs. Freshley!), but let's be honest; what we're talking about here are knock-offs of products from Hostess, the McDonald's of baked goods. That isn't setting the bar very high. Is somebody knocking-off a knock-off? That's setting the bar on the ground and walking over it. There's a lot to suggest that this might be a bootleg product:
  • Let's start with the name. "Race Cups". what does that even mean? I mean, I know it doesn't have to do with race relations. I figured out from the junior high art project-esque graphics of the stock car and the slanted letters with motion lines on the package that eating these cupcakes is somehow similar to the excitement associated with the NASCAR experience. But how? Cups are trophies. Is that what they mean? They don't look like trophies. They look like cupcakes (Hostess cupcakes, to be exact) I don't want to eat a trophy. When I eat cupcakes, it's the cake I'm focused on, not the cup.
  • Maybe they mean these will race through your digestive system. The use of stock car racing imagery in the packaging is just a coincidence. Or a cruel inside joke (note the number on the car...).
  • Look at the price: .25 for two cupcakes! When was the last time you paid .25 for even one food item that wasn't wrapped in a Bazooka Joe comic?

I sure would like to know what the deal is with these things. Aside from the fact that they were delicious. I figured that out on my own.

2 comments:

Gail said...

"Hostess, the McDonald's of baked goods." Hee!

Unknown said...

I mean that in the best possible way: Sure, lower quality but there's something to be said for unwavering consistency.

I love McDonalds. And Hostess.