Friday, June 10, 2011

What about Weiner?

Obligatory hot dog picture, as required by
International humor blog code of standards
You may read posts like the poem I wrote about The Pretty Lady On Television that was published here on Tuesday and have a few questions. Such as:


"Hey blog boy, you claim to be a registered independent which would seem to indicate if not a political neutrality, at least an undeclared allegiance to one end of the political spectrum in favor of the other. And yet, rarely if ever do I see you making fun of left-wing liberal figures the way you go after conservatives. Are you saying that conservatives are the only ones who screw-up and leave themselves open for ridicule and derision? Or are you actually just a left-wing liberal extremist yourself, only lacking the intestinal fortitude to identify yourself as such? Either way, you're an intellectually dishonest and gutless coward" or something to that general effect. To which I reply, WHOA! Settle down, man! I hear you, I hear you loud and clear; what you're really saying is "what about Weiner?". No? Well, that's how I heard it. Sorry.
So what about U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner (D-New York)? He's been the biggest penis-related news story in the country for a week, has a funny name and I haven't even mentioned him until now. Why the hell not? Well, I'll tell you why not:
  • It seemed too easy and I mean way too easy; a guy sending pictures of his penis to women and his name is Weiner? Come on. It's like a guy getting busted for DUI named Rummy McVodka. Any joke somebody makes is automatically redundant.
  • On the off chance there were any good jokes to make, they got made within 15 minutes of the story breaking in the first place.
  • I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean it is, to him and his wife. And for what it's worth, as though it matters, yes, I would absolutely consider it cheating. But ultimately, it's an issue of marital infidelity and his record as a public servant, which is apparently pretty solid, shouldn't be unduly tarnished by it.
  • Okay, the fact that he lied about doing anything, repeatedly professed his innocence and then caved in and admitted to the whole thing is pretty sorry and it does speak to integrity as well as judgment. So here's my take:

Being an idiot doesn't mean you can't do a good job;
Doing a good job doesn't mean you aren't an idiot.
Boom.
Now, this whole thing about guys taking pictures of their penises and sending them as gifts (!) to women will get a blog post all by itself. Soon.

No comments: