Monday, January 06, 2014

Network: 2014

The 1976 film "Network", starring Faye Dunaway, William Holden and Peter Finch was a satire about the media, particularly television, and the role it plays in our lives. If it were released today, it probably would have been a completely different movie. It might not have even been a movie.
It might have been a blog.
Like this:

BEALE'S BLOG
"I'm the mad prophet of the internet!"

November 27, 2013
I'M MAD AS HELL!

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth. Banks are going bust. Shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's no one anywhere that seems to know what to do with us. We know the air is unfit to breathe, our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our computers while some local newscaster tells us that today we had 15 homicides and 63 violent crimes as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad. Worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy so we don't go out anymore. We sit in a house as slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster, and computer, and my steel belted radials and I won't say anything." Well I'm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get mad. I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot. I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crying in the streets. All I know is first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, "I'm a human being. God Dammit, my life has value." So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out, and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" I want you to get up right now. Get up. Go to your windows, open your windows, and stick your head out, and yell, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Things have got to change my friends. You've got to get mad. You've got to say, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open your window, stick your head out and yell, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"


26 Comments:

Jeff said...
Ok WTF????!!!!!??

Tyler said...
Decaf maybe?

Carol said...
LOLLOLOLOLOLL!!!!!!!!

Mike said...
Srsly, WTF????????????????!!!!!!????????

Howard said...
Because you people, and sixty-two million other Americans, are listening to me right now. Because less than three percent of you people read books! Because less than fifteen percent of you read newspapers! Because the only truth you know is what you get over the internet. Right now, there is a whole, an entire generation that never knew anything that didn't come out of the internet! The internet is the Gospel, the ultimate revelation. The internet can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers... The internet is the most awesome God-damned force in the whole godless world, and woe is us if it ever falls in to the hands of the wrong people

Diane said...
"You people"? SMDH

Kevin said...
Here we go. Somebody's always got to tyr to bring racism into everything.

Jeff said...
^^^ spelled "try" wrong. A three letter word. Dumbass.

Kevin said...
ITS THE INTERNET!!! NOBODY CARES ABOUT SPELLING!!!GET OVER YOURSELF!!!

Howard said...
I have seen the face of God.

Rashed said...
Lots of Good information in your post, I favorited your blog post so I can visit again in the future, Thanks. Great low rates on dumpster rentals to fit all your dumpster rental needs. Reliable company servicing everything from small dumpsters to a large roll off dumpster where to rent a dumpster dumpster rental For know details visit our website: http://www.dumpsterrental.com/

Diane said...
Spam!

Mike said...
OMFG! Russians have dumpsters for rent! Howard was right! LMFAO!

Kevin said...
Rascist!!

KevinSucks said...
^^^ sucks

Kevin said...
STFU JEFF!!!!EVERYBODY KNOWS THATS YOU!!!!!1!!

Howard said...
You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here, you're beginning to believe that the internet is reality and your own lives are unreal. You do. Why, whatever the internet tells you: you dress like the internet, you eat like the internet, you raise your children like the internet, you even think like the internet. This is mass madness, you maniacs. In God's name, you people are the real thing, WE are the illusion.

Max said...
What is this blog supposed to be about anyway? I'm lost #lost

Howard said...
This is not a psychotic episode. This is a cleansing moment of clarity. I'm imbued, Max. I'm imbued with some special spirit. It's not a religious feeling at all. It's a shocking eruption of great electrical energy. I feel vivid and flashing, as if suddenly I'd been plugged into some great electromagnetic field. I feel connected to all living things. To flowers, birds, all the animals of the world. And even to some great, unseen, living force. What I think the Hindus call prana. But it's not a breakdown. I've never felt more orderly in my life. It is a shattering and beautiful sensation. It is the exalted flow of the space-time continuum, save that it is spaceless and timeless and... of such loveliness. I feel on the verge of some great, ultimate truth. And you will not take me off the air for now or for any other spaceless time!

Carol said...
This blog is about how Howard needs to up his meds!!!! LOLLOLOLOLOLLOOOLLOL

Mike said...
Hey Max, we don't use hashtags here. Go back to Twitter, idiot.

KevinSucks
This blog is about Kevin and how he sucks.

Diane said...
ROFL REC'D +1

Kevin said...
Eff this. I'm done.

Howard said...
What is finished... is the idea that this great country is dedicated to the freedom and flourishing of every individual in it. It's the individual that's finished. It's the single, solitary human being that's finished. It's every single one of you out there that's finished, because this is no longer a nation of independent individuals. It's a nation of some 200-odd million transistorized, deodorized, whiter-that-white, steel-belted bodies, totally unnecessary as human beings, and as replaceable as piston rods... Well, the time has come to say, is dehumanization such a bad word. Because good or bad, that's what is so. The whole world is becoming humanoid - creatures that look human but aren't. The whole world not just us. We're just the most advanced country, so we're getting there first. The whole world's people are becoming mass-produced, programmed, numbered, insensate things...

KevinSucks said...
Kevin sucks.

Comments are now closed for this post.

No comments: