Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Another self-imposed hiatus. Sorry.

Right now, I am part of a group of people I despise: pet owners who can't honor their commitment (SPOILER ALERT: If you're somebody who has never loved a pet, you're not going to be able to relate to anything that follows so just stop reading now and spare me any "they're just animals" sentiment, okay? Thanks.). The kind of people who get a dog or a cat because they looked cute and then once they find out there's work involved, they give up and abandon the animal. I'm one of those people now.
The reason why is stupid and complicated and not important to the story, but I have to give away my pet cats. Soon. By the end of the month. I found out just under a week ago and since then I've been negotiating, begging and trying to come up with options and I have failed. And that's the bottom line: I've failed. I've had these cats for a very long time, their entire lives basically. Over that time, I committed to their care and keeping and now I'm just abandoning them. What kind of person does that?
I'm sick over the whole thing right now, on a lot of different levels (rest assured, I am thoroughly hating myself, so that's covered). Mostly I'm anxious over finding a place for them to live. There are horriffic stories about things that happen to domesticated animals, particularly cats, particularly around here, these days. How can I possibly make sure no harm comes to them? I can't. That, aside from sadness and loneliness I'm already feeling even though they're still here, is the most difficult
Anyway, this issue currently dominates my mind and is inhibiting, among other things, my ability to share the kind of stuff I normally share here so I'm going to need to take a break from posting here until it's resolved, whatever that eventually entails. Like I said, if you've never loved a pet, you won't be able to relate, but I hope you at least understand. Thanks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Clark,
I am so very sorry to hear this. U know the efforts I put forth in trying to find a home for Ophie, an extremely loving Lab/Retriever mix. No luck. The young wife has since decided to keep him, but I fear for his quality of life, since her husband is an abuser. If he doesn't take his fits out on her or the 2 children, Ophie will pay the price. I am going to pray about this 4 U. I wish U wernt't having to go through this. I totally get it. I now sit on needles and pins hoping she can keep Ophie safe. I wish there was some other options. God Bless U Clark, U R a Great Man. Let's both hope a great option presents itself, alright love? Debi

Marissa said...

This is so heartbreaking. I will miss your posts, no doubt. But that isn't the reason for the heartbreak. I cannot imagine having to give up my kitties. Even in all their selfishness toward me, they're therapeutic for my son.
I pray you find loving homes for them.

Drum Riley Calhoun said...

Clark, I am a animal lover (2 pugs, a greyhound, and a cat), and I can completely understand how you feel. I am involved with several rescue organizations, and I have a wide network of animal-loving animal rescuers. If you can send me pictures of your cats, I can spread the word that you are looking for a safe, loving home for them. I would be happy to help, if you are interested. dgshorty@yahoo.com

Jeff Hickmott said...

If only I lived in Tampa, Clark, rest assured I'd take them. I am a cat lover through and through. Hope you find a nice person to take them. Keep your chin up, man.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the kind words of support. I really do appreciate them more than I can say.

DRC, what is your email address?