Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The new originality

Things have changed.
That happens over time.
I understand. I get it. I'm okay with it.

Kinda.

I mean, I try to understand. I try to get it. I try to be okay with it.

Still, sometimes I'm thrown a curveball with which I can't quite connect. Apparently, concepts like "100%" and "original", concepts that I thought that by virtue of their self-evident, basic definitions were incapable of being altered, have somehow changed.

Definition of 100 percent:  completely, entirely

Definition of original:1 archaic :  the source or cause from which something arises; specifically :  originator
2 a :  that from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made
b :  a work composed firsthand
As someone who actually does produce 100% original material every single time I do something, I was thrown when I came across this on Facebook yesterday:
Specifically, what this person was (is) upset about, is this:
If that looks familiar to you, it could be because you may have seen it pop up in an obscure little film franchise known as "Star Wars". Other people posted comments in support of the original poster's complaint, including one who said that that the original poster was a victim of copyright infringement. Against my better judgment, I posed a question:
"How is taking a logo from a movie that's been around for 40 years '100% original'?"
I received a reply:
"Original is when you create your car your own way, a way no one has seen in the cars seen the movie could have been around 1 billion years but if I created a style or a way my car looks doesn't give the right for someone else to copy it just cause they want too, create your own shit!!! Point blank!!!"
To which I responded:
"I guess. But try applying for a copyright, as discussed above, with that design and see how 'original' the lawyers think it is."
That drew this:
"Who cares about lawyers dude! , you'll have to go after the whole car scene! If anything the [sic] should pay h [sic] I mean and everyone else with these type of decals!"
Eventually, the original poster chimed in:
"Because of the fact that although the logo belongs to the movie, the design and concept behind a Star Wars themed car specifically tail light design for a Chevy Spark the exact same year was hand-painted... Those tail lights aren't available in any stores they were custom made... Its original because these aren't able to be purchased anywhere. There is no store or location where you can buy these."
At this point, the absurdity caused my sarcasm to kick in:
"Okay, I get it. Like recording a bunch of songs on a CD that can't be bought in a store makes it original. Got it."
Unfortunately, it didn't land on the intended level:
"Exactly doesn't make it good it just makes it original"
Oh.

So remember folks, the guy selling mix tape CD's in the parking lot of your local gas station isn't a douchebag bootlegging hack capitalizing on the creativity of others, he's an artist trying to sell his new "100% original" album.
Be sure to catch my next "100% original" stand-up appearance where I'll be... umm, oh, let's call it re-interpreting... 30-year-old Eddie Murphy fart jokes that I've never stolen... err, re-interpreted... before! It won't be good, but I'll be able to defend it as "original".
Eddie can send me a check.

No comments: