Sunday, February 04, 2007

Bear Down!


As I mentioned here previously, I was going to make a concerted effort to get into football this year, particularly in regard to the Buccaneers. Well, as it turns out, I picked a pretty lousy year to do that. The Bucs record (4-12) was awful, but worse than that, they were boring. I've sat through 50 loss seasons by the Lightning and 100 loss seasons by the Devil Rays but they at least managed to provide some entertainment in the process. The Bucs weren't even interesting. I pity the poor schmuck who has to put together a highlight video from this year. He's going to be wading through an awful lot of two yard runs up the middle and incomplete passes.


That said, I am looking forward to the Superbowl today. I'm no longer the Bears fanatic I was when I was a kid (I have Brian Baschnagel's autograph on a football card) but I do still feel a connection so I'll be rooting for them. Their presence in the big game has brought a lot of attention to the rioutous '85 team that destroyed the Patriots in Superbowl XX so it's been fun to stroll memory lane. Plus, they're underdogs which makes them appealing to root for, although I won't be sad if Tony Dungy's Colts win. Both teams play an entertaining (they're the anti-Buccaneers) brand of football so it should be a pretty good game to watch. Plus, Prince is performing at halftime!

No comments: