Monday, February 19, 2007

State Fair



We went to the state fair this week. We had fun.

That's it, I got nothin' else. You can't make fun of the state fair. When something as over-the-top tacky as the state fair makes no pretense about being anything else, it renders itself totally immune from snark or any other form of criticism. You just can't do it. It would be like making fun of someone for being blonde...ok, bad example. The point is you're not likely to find anybody who is full of shit to be working in a neon-covered trailer selling corn dogs, so there is no point.

Anyway, we went and enjoyed the vendors, games and (in pretty respectable moderation, I must say) the awful (aka AWESOME!) food. For what it's worth, I found this year's new fried item, Pepsi, to be disappointing. The rest of the group disagreed. However, the ribs, and the two guys from Memphis preparing them, were unanimously popular.

We can't wait for the Strawberry Festival!

1 comment:

gadzooks64 said...

Oooooooh, I LOVE state fairs!

New Mexico, where I grew up, has a huge one every year.

HUGE.

I love the food: smoked turkey legs, Indian fry bread, funnel cakes... mmmm. I'm getting a sugar high just thinking about it.

P.S. Nothing brings back memories like the smell of the animal, er, waste. LOL.