Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tampa: Standard bearer of taste and decorum

I notice a lot of things while I drive, which sounds like I'm not paying attention to operating my vehicle safely. But don't worry about it because I'm really good at it. I can not pay attention to five or six things at the same time. On my drive in to work this morning, I noticed a new strip club opening soon. The sign says this new establishment will be called "Liquor Box". I'll pause a minute to let that sink in.

...

This isn't in some seedy part of town; it's right on Dale Mabry, which is the main north-south highway. Actually, it's within walking distance of three or four other strip clubs, so I guess it actually is kind of seedy. But it's also right across the street from a Borders and within a mile or two of a Rooms-To-Go and a Target, not to mention Raymond James Stadium and the Yankees spring training complex. I don't consider myself a prude (well, in some areas maybe) but does anybody really think it's a good idea to have a joint called "Liquor Box" right on the main drag? This particular building has always been a strip club and has previoulsy been named "Ponytails" and "Skorez". Whatever happened to a little discretion and imagination? "The Kit Kat Club" would sound downright upscale by comparison.

No comments: