Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Processing the passing of Prince


It's been a month since Prince died and it's still difficult to accept as reality. What's been a real surprise has been learning just how popular he was/is with so many people who would be considered "mainstream". I knew he had a devoted worldwide following but I always thought he was sort of an acquired taste, a niche artist. somebody you were either really into or didn't care for. I based some of that on how some people would react when I expressed that I was a fan. What happened to all the people who used to call me a fag?!?
Beyond that, it's not surprising that other artists like Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney would pay respect via performed tributes. But the guy who plowed a Prince symbol into his corn field?

Who knew 75-year-old farmers would be Prince fans?
"Well, I reckon that the blurring of traditional gender roles and the playful, coltish sexuality expressed in songs like 'Little Red Corvette' and 'Do Me, Baby' are two things I admire most about the feller."

Even idiots are weighing in...

That may seem harsh and judgmental, but people who disseminate knowledge via internet memes are idiots. Sorry.
I don't dispute the "genius" label (I'm a fan, after all) but I'm positive a broke 12-year-old in Minneapolis did not foresee the athletic shoe boom. Nor did a 24-year-old musician who was just starting to enjoy some commercial success predict that one certain, specific college basketball player would play a major role in making that happen.

Poor idiots. I understand. It's hard to handle.

No comments: