Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Rays baseball; it's delicious!

The Rays are running a couple of performance-based promotions that pay off in food for fans. Last night's 5-4 win over the Baltimore Orioles was a Daily Double...
  • Dunkin' Donuts - Any time the Rays win, fans can go to the local Dunkin' Donuts and collect a free donut with the purchase of any beverage. You don't even have to have attended a game or anything. Just show up after they win, buy a cup of coffee and claim your donut. The Rays have won 64 games so far this year. Man, that's a lot of donuts.
  • Kane's Furniture & Papa John's Pizza - When Rays pitchers combine for 10 or more strikeouts, Rays fans can take their ticket to Kane's Furniture and redeem it for a voucher for a free pizza from Papa John's. I don't know how often this has happened this year, but it's not an infrequent occurrence. As someone with a marketing background, I love this one because it drives actual foot traffic into two different sponsors' locations. I don't think the salesmen at Kane's are thrilled about it though. When you walk in, they're waiting to meet you but they become noticeably less friendly when they find out you're there for the pizza voucher. I guess I can't blame them; as salesmen who work on commission, dealing with people who aren't even going to glance at the new line of sleeper-sofas is not high on their priority list. As a result, I feel a little guilty when I go in there to get my voucher. Sometimes I pretend to be interested in end tables for a few minutes. then I feel even more guilty because I've actually wasted their time. I shouldn't have to feel bad at all though. I earned the pizza. Well, I didn't actually do anything. David Price, Lance Cormier, Grant Balfour and JP Howell got the 10 strikeouts. I just happened to be there. But hey, I didn't set the low eligibility standards. I just want my pizza, sausage, extra cheese, mushrooms and green peppers, hold the guilt please.

And tonight they're doing .50 hot dogs! At this point, I may stop grocery shopping and just go to baseball games.

No comments: