Friday, December 25, 2009

*Sigh*

Merry Christmas.
This post was much angrier a few minutes ago. I pulled it back because I've changed my mind. Not about what I want to say but about how I want to say it. My sincere apologies if you read the angry version. That was not the right way to convey this message.

Many of you are not looking forward to what today holds for you. You will have to deal with multitudes of people and their quirky personalities. Dinner is going to be a major production. You're already worn out from all the parties you've had to attend. Everything is a great big hassle and that's not what the holidays are supposed to be all about.
I've avoided spending a great deal of time on Facebook and Twitter and stuff because I know I'm going to see lots of complaints about these and other similar holiday issues, and I'd really rather avoid as much of that as possible.

I just got home from work a little while ago and my neighbors, who are frequently loud and obnoxious at weird hours, were out on their patio, having a little shindig. "Great, looks like I'm not getting to bed any time soon", I thought to myself. I've never actually met them before tonight, but one of the guys, Arnold ("like the pig on Green Acres!") called me over and offered me a beer. I'm tired, I just ate pancakes and all I want is to go upstairs and crash, so I politely decline. He insisted. "Come on, just one beer. Celebrate Christmas Eve." There's an unwritten code that says when somebody offers you beer, it's customary to accept, whether you want it or not. To decline after it is offered with insistence is nothing short of an insult. Never let it be said that I violate protocol. "Okay, one beer." I met him and his friends and family, most of whom didn't speak any English and I drank my beer. It was cold and delicious and when it was gone, I was glad I had accepted his offer. "Thanks Arnold", I said, heading up the stairs, "if you ever need anything, just come up and knock." Arnold said, "you got a million dollars up there?" I revised my offer. "If you ever need almost anything, just come up and knock." I don't even care that they're still up, still loud, still partying.


Look, I know dealing with family (and friends) can be a pain in the ass sometimes. You're not wrong to feel that way. But if you're serious about the whole 'be thankful for what you've got' thing, you'd do well to follow your own advice. I would think it would be flattering and humbling to know that there are people who love you and want to spend time with you. I would think that alone might be enough to make you happy on Christmas, no? I don't know. What I do know is there are a lot of people who would trade places with you in a minute and wouldn't trade back in a million years. I'm one of them.

So, just try to enjoy at least some part of it, if you can. And if you can't, at least have the decency to lie about it for the benefit of those of us who aren't fortunate enough to be in your shoes, okay?
Peace on earth, good will toward y'all and whatnot.
Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

True.