Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Just say ja!

Tampa is not exactly known for it's Teutonic heritage, but Mr. Dunderbak's restaurant has been around for over 30 years, which qualifies it as an institution. They recently moved from their long-time location inside the dying University Mall to new digs slightly north and slightly east in New Tampa. Every time I go there, it makes me nostalgic for my misspent days in Germany and it makes me regale my companions with my dusty old stories of getting tanks stuck under bridges while there. We went there last night for dinner and here are some pictures...

The extensive list of available beers.

Patrons enjoying some of those beers at the bar.

We were lucky enough to be seated at the table in the gazebo located in the center of the restaurant. This is an unusual view; looking up at the ceiling from that table. then again, maybe it's not that unusual. They do serve a lot of beer...

This is my friend, filmmaker Renee Warmack, posing with our server (I'm so sorry I didn't get his name; he was excellent!) and Mr. Dunderbak's signature menu item, the Reuben sandwich. What's particularly notable about this picture is that this is the first time Renee has consented to be photographed, or even named as an accomplice in any of my misadventures, for this blog! When a sandwich makes someone do something they normally wouldn't, that's a damn good sandwich.

One of many merchandise supplies. It looks like the entire restaurant is constructed of displays like these. Indeed, if somebody were to walk in and buy everything that's laying out for sale, the place would be pretty empty. Doing inventory has got to be a nightmare.

Here are more patrons enjoying the festive atmosphere and...Wait a minute, what is that, down and to the right...?

Gyahh! Check out that amazing 'fro! That thing is incredible! Kudos to you, sir. I am impressed and jealous!

That's a whole lotta mustard

And that's a whole lotta more beer!

3 comments:

Marissa said...

Wow! I want to go there. It's like a German Cracker Barrel.
Renee is lovely. She should be in pictures more often -- with or without a Ruben or unnamed server.

Unknown said...

They do have the bestest Reubens,ever!!!And i love their pickles.

Unknown said...

Yes! A German Cracker Barrell is EXACTLY what it is! That is perfect! I've never tried the pickles before. That must be a secret. I'll have some next time.

And Renee is truly a lovely person, inside and out.