Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What would this guy do?

I'd recently read in the St. Pete Times that someone known publicly as "The Jesus Guy" was traveling around the Tampa Bay area. He's been featured in Time and Newsweek magazines, on ABC television's 20/20 and was the subject of a documentary film titled "The Jesus Guy" by Sean Tracey (clip below). A few days after I read the Times article, I was driving down Dale Mabry highway and I saw him walking along the side of the road. I had to pull over and get a picture, maybe talk to him. Although, I hadn't put much thought into it so I was caught off guard when he asked "So what's going on with you, spiritually?"

"Huh? Oh...yeah...well, lots of stuff like this here that you're doing, you know. I like that. Yeah. Just lots of...so many...different...good works and things, you know."

I might be in trouble if I ever have to answer questions from the real Jesus. Geez...I mean, gosh. We made small talk and I wished him well and headed for home.

Later I thought about it. As easy as it might be to dismiss The Jesus Guy as some attention-seeking nutcase, I wonder why we don't see more people dressing up like Jesus. After all, there are people who dress up on weekends and re-fight the Civil War, people who dress up like Elvis or Madonna or Micheal Jackson. Hell, Heck, Tampa is home to people who dress up like Peter Pan and Batman. None (well, hopefully at least very few) of those people think they really are who they're emulating and neither does The Jesus Guy, as far as I can tell from what I read on line and my own very, very brief encounter.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that guys is either dedicated, insane, or both. That's neat you got to meet him. --Shiek