Thursday, April 15, 2010

If you can't take the heat...

I saw this in my grocer's freezer section (just like in the commercials!) and three things jumped out at me:
  • Mac(aroni...all the cool kids are saying "mac" these days. Try to keep up, grandma)
  • Cheese
  • Bacon

Why, those just happen to be three of my most favorite shades of awesome! And it's ready in under 30 minutes? What is not to love about this? Well, if I were Snoopy, I might have a problem with the manufacturer but as it stands, I should give it a try at home. But wait, let me read the instructions first...


Step 1: No problem. Although, if the people at food companies were totally honest, they'd factor pre-heating time into the preparation info on the front of the box. Everybody does this, though, so I let it slide.

Step 2: The clear film is an important part of the process with food like this. Sometimes they want you to leave it on, sometimes you take it off, sometimes you should poke some holes in it and sometimes you should open it up...but just a little bit. Clear film is tricky stuff. I'll bet the great chefs of Europe study it for years. I've mastered it so I continued undaunted.

Step 3: Now really, how many people have a professional grade food thermometer laying around their kitchen, honestly? Well, yeah, I do. Don't judge me.

Step 4: Here's the one that threw me; "product may be hot". If I put something in my oven for a half hour at over 400 degrees it had better still be hot two minutes after I take it out. Unless something is really wrong with my oven and/or my air conditioner. Since both of those things are currently in good working order, I passed. Sorry.

No comments: