Monday, April 12, 2010

Postcards from the past

Recently, my friend K scanned some photos for me. Among those were some postcards from the old House of David amusement park in my home town of Benton Harbor, Michigan that I picked up somewhere. Sports fanatics may be vaguely familiar with the House of David because thy sponsored barnstorming baseball and basketball teams way back in the '20s and '30s. I have very, very vague memories of going there because they shut down when I was little, some time in the late '60s or early '70s (same as the town itself). It was run by a religious cult that was just riddled with sex and money scandals, which I guess is pretty standard operating procedure for religious cults. But the park was a very popular tourist attraction in Benton Harbor's salad days. It's still there today, overgrown with weeds and buildings in disrepair. Here are the postcards that show it in it's prime...






No comments: