Friday, August 06, 2010

This is where I want to live...

"Sometimes monkeys live on an island
And sometimes their human friend, Clark, swims out for a visit
And together they're workin' it out
Makin' a family!
On Monkey Island" -- Theme song to 'Monkey Island', my favorite TV show that doesn't exist

When I was a kid, all the best representations of non-traditional-yet-idyllic family life was found on Friday nights on ABC (Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Six Million Dollar and The Bionic Woman, etc.) and so that's what I regress to when something inspires me to crave that kind of lifestyle. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.
Such was the case on Thursday when friends took me to up to Homosassa, the home of Monkey Island. That's it, as seen from our table at the Riverside Crab House (AYCE fish & chips, $8.95!). You can't see them in this picture, but trust me, they're out there. I saw them. And I want to live there. It's an island. With monkeys on it. Need I say more?
But alas, I fear it can never be. For one thing, the monkeys are reportedly not very friendly. For another, ABC doesn't put great shows like that on TV any more. So all I have are my fantasies or what could have been and that awesome theme song which I wrote on the spot and performed several times to the delight of my traveling companions as we drove all over the place.

No comments: