Friday, August 13, 2010

Interview: Steve Jerve

Steve Jerve is the Chief Meteorologist at News Channel 8 (WFLA) television here in Tampa. He is a full member of the American Meteorological Society and is a Certified Broadcast Meteorologist (CBM), a designation awarded by the AMS. He's also the first dude to do an interview on this prestigious blog, in which he offers an endorsement for an extremely worthy award candidate (guess who?), mentions robots a couple of times, offers some good advice and reveals something you never, ever knew about television news. Sound juicy? Read on, you hair-twirlers.

How many people do you deal with on a given day who want to discuss the weather?
Probably 5-10 people, depending on how much I'm "out" shopping or whatever.

Ever wish they'd ask about something else?

I don't mind, it's nice they know who I am and weather is a subject everyone talks about.

I'll change things up; What do you think the deal is with the Rays this year?

The Rays are young. I was at the no-hit game against Arizona. I found from my experience in sports that the majority of your success or failure is how you approach it mentally. They're one of the best teams in the league and experience may give them more consistency.

Let's go back to weather; Ever had anybody blame you for bad weather?

Oh yeah, but most of the time they're joking.

Do you get along with the meteorologists from
other stations?
Yeah, I get along great with them.

Do you guys text each other when one of yo
u obviously blows it?
I don't have a lot of contact or get to see them much on air because I'm on when they're on. How important is being able to move in front of the weather map?
It's important, especially if you stand in front of New Port Richey a lot, you'll hear about it.

Are there people who wash out of the field because they just can't do it?

Never heard of anyone who couldn't point, but you gotta act natural, robotic just doesn't work.

What's the Storm Team headquarters like? Is it a bunch of guys hanging around playing cards waiting for some action, like a fire
station or the Superfriends?
You described it perfectly, it's like you've been here before. It has some features of the Batcave, except more computers.

Do you have a favorite weather-rela
ted phrase or term? I do: Smudgepot!
I like smudgepot, you don't get to see them much anymore, they're old school. I kind of like "hodograph", which is not a child's game from Milton Bradley.

Any idea what the hell a Klystron9 is?

Yea, it's a really cool Doppler radar, or one of Saturn's moons, but definitely one of the two. What's a better movie, "Anchorman" or "Groundhog Day"?
"Groundhog Day", it's about a weather guy and I love the overall message of the movie. Live every day, even if you're in Punxsutawney.

You have an iPhone app; the Weather Shaker. How does it work?

The Weather Shaker gives you a quick look at the weather, temps, radar, forecast and all you gotta do is shake your iPhone.

Why a shaker? Because it's funny to watch people do it?

Shaking is low tech, and a bit retro, also strengthens the arms.

This is a request from a female reader: "Ask him how he gets his hair to do that Kewpie Doll thing and is it part of a comb-fo
rward strategy". I have absolutely no idea what she's talking about.
I get it to do that by actually being a live Kewpie doll. Man, I'm just glad my hair is still there.

Channel 8 operates out of the same facility as the Tampa Tribune. Have you ever had to shoo Curtis Ross (Tribune pop music writer) out of your work area?

Not yet, although we have some of the biggest HD monitors in the building. Maybe I'll catch him watching "Transformers" in here one night.

You're on Facebook, Twitter and FourSquare a
nd I've seen you out at social media events. Is social media something you're active with for work or fun or both?
Mostly for business on social media, but I think it's quite a phenomenon. As I use it more, it's becoming the major way of communicating with friends and our viewers. I like it a lot.

What's one thing most people don't know about tv news that you can reveal here for the first time ever?
We are all evil robots. Or, all of our news is done live, you can take your pick.I'm pretty determined to win at least one of Creative Loafing's Best of the Bay 2010 Readers Poll awards this year ('Best Local Blogger' & 'Best Local Personality to Follow on Twitter'). I voted for you; can I count on your vote in return?
Sure, I'll be happy to vote for you.

Could you say something to Gayle Sierens about it too please?

You'll have to pitch Gayle yourself. :)

Anything you'd like to mention that I didn't ask about?

Have a hurricane plan. Everyone's home and life is different and each requires a unique plan. Even if you never have to have it, at least it's in place, but if you do need it, you'll be VERY happy you did. I've been through hurricanes, and they are the real deal.

1 comment:

janey jay said...

Wow! Insightful. Hard-hitting. And Robots! Can it get better than this? Doubtful.