Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A short conversation during an awkward ride home


(The following takes place in a car after several miles traveled in complete silence)
"So..."
"I really don't want to talk about it, okay?"
"No, no, I just realized I never actually complimented you on being nominated for the award in the first place and I'm sorry that you didn't win. I think you did a great job."
"Oh. Well, thank you. That's nice to hear."
"But what was that?"
"(Heavy sigh)"
"I mean, I'm not threatened. I'm a confident, secure-in-myself man but, this is...you have to admit it's kind of weird, you know?"
"I agree! I'm not enjoying it either."
"Are you sure about that?"
"Yes! I think it's creepy! What would I find enjoyable about it?"
"It's just that when it happened, you looked kind of, I don't know, amused."

"I was shocked! That was an uncontrollable nervous reaction to being caught completely off guard."
"All right. If you say so."
"Listen, I don't know what he's thinking when he does this stuff. Maybe he isn't thinking. I have no idea. All I can tell you is that I'm not doing anything to encourage it."
"The guy has issues."
"Clearly."
"I'm glad you agree."
"So, are you okay?"
"Me? Yeah, I'm fine. I just like we needed to address the situation and air that out. I wanted to see what your thoughts were on the situation. Now that I know how you feel, I'm totally fine."
"Good. Because you have absolutely nothing to worry about."
"That's all I wanted to hear. And for what it's worth, neither do you. (slips Beck's "Morning Phase" into CD player)"

No comments: