Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Restaurant review: Sal's Famous Pizzeria

I was going through my archives and I found this review that I wrote a long time ago. I submitted it to the New York Times but they didn't run it and didn't say why. I haven't been back to that place since. I wonder if it is still in business?



(June 30, 1989) I'm always on the lookout for charming little family-owned neighborhood restaurants. So I was delighted to come across Sal's Famous Pizzeria in Brooklyn's colorful Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood.
It was incredibly hot, probably the hottest day of the year, and I was happy to find any place that served cold drinks (apparently, I wasn't alone in my quest to quench my thirst; the grocer on the corner was completely out of Miller High Life) but I was also hungry so I couldn't wait to dig in.


FOOD: 3 stars (out of four) The slices, hot and fresh from the oven are large and tasty, although I prefer more cheese on mine. I overheard the man behind the counter telling a customer that extra cheese was two dollars, which is outrageous, as it's actually more than the cost of the pizza itself.

ATMOSPHERE: 2 stars (out of four) Sal's is a cozy little place. Nothing fancy, food is served on paper plates. Not much seating indoors but I observed many people getting carry out. It could have been cleaner. The sidewalk out in front in particular could have used a good sweeping. The only real decor inside is an ersatz "wall of fame" featuring celebrities, movie stars and athletes. I kind of doubt that they are actual customers of Sal's but I don't know what the significance of their inclusion would be otherwise. Maybe it's a work in progress as there seems to be room for more photos.

SERVICE: 1 star (out of four) Here's where Sal's really needs improvement. For such a small place that wasn't all that busy, the service is incredibly slow. While I was there, I overheard several complaints being called in about late deliveries. The employees have terrible attitudes and spend a great deal of time bickering amongst themselves and having remarkably inappropriate conversations within earshot of patrons trying to dine. Here's an example I caught on videotape:



OVERALL: 1.5 stars (out of four) I'm sorry to say that there are places you'd rather be on the hottest day of the year than at Sal's Famous Pizzeria. I especially would never go there after dark. I don't mean anything by that. I'm just, you know, just saying...

No comments: