Monday, May 30, 2011

Fruit! There it is!

I love fruit. Love it! I eat it all the time. I buy oranges in 40 lb bags and snack on them constantly. Candy? Potato chips? Keep 'em. When it's snack time, give me some oranges or grapes or peaches or apples and I'm a happy boy.
I just wish I could make more than snacks out of them. I'm jealous of people who can make a meal out of a fruit smoothie because I just can't do that. I'm envious, because it seems super-healthy. But I grew up in the midwest where an entire cow's ass in a bathtub of mashed potatoes and gravy was what's for dinner. And we weren't even farmers. I can't visualize myself taking a blender, jamming a handful of grapes in there with, I don't know, some peanuts and a scoop of wheat powder (is that even a thing?), hitting "frappe", chugging it down and going, "oh, I am stuffed!". That is a drink, not dinner.
I mentioned this to a friend and she said the key is to add bananas because apparently bananas are very filling. "I don't know what it is but I can't take a whole one, no matter how hard I try. I just can't get more than three quarters of it down." She said some other stuff but I didn't hear it because I was giggling like a 12-year-old.

2 comments:

RottenMom said...

My husbands greatest parenting moment was when he stood in our kitchen and explained to our daughter that now that she was in middle school, she should break apart a banana and eat it in pieces when in the school cafeteria.

So glad I didn't have to explain that one.

Florida Native Mom said...

I agree, a meal involves chewing. However, that said, I have made a meal of a glass or two or three of wine before.