Monday, May 02, 2011

So, like, what's everybody talking about today?

In the wake of last night's announcement that Osama Bin Laden has officially assumed room temperature, it really doesn't make any sense for me to waste the effort and space to get anyone's attention off of a topic that's going to dominate the news cycle and discussions everywhere for the foreseeable future. So I'm not. Until Wednesday. I hope that's cool.

On the off-off-off-off chance that anybody cares about my take on the situation, all I'll say about it is that it's deeply personal for hundreds of different reasons and nobody's individual reaction can be criticized as wrong or inappropriate.Wanna pound beers and sing along to Toby Keith? Knock yourself out. Just don't step on the folks who want some quiet reflection or are concerned about what happens next.
 For me, I had two reactions:
1) Thank God I'm not travelling any time soon.
2) It's entirely possible that I may follow a few too many funny people on Twitter. Because when I went there on Sunday night in search of updates on the breaking news, I had to wade through a lot of jokes in the process. With that in mind, here are the top Tweets I came across last night...

Is it too much to ask that the government kill somebody I hate EVERY night, around 8 pm? -- Thomas Lennon

See what happens when you let gays serve in the military? -- Adam Roberts


"They've been looking for him my whole life!! Well, that's great, I guess all the wars are over now. Goodnight!" - 10 yr old daughter -- Kelly Oxford


Osama Bin Laden (upper-body injury) will not return. -- Jeremy Rutherford (that's a playoff hockey joke, in case you don't recognize the format)

Donald Trump, you can resign now. -- Bob Kerr

I'd call my dad to celebrate, but if Bin Laden never put out a coupon, my dad doesn't have any idea who he is. -- Veronica



Just a heads up. Bin Laden jokes will be annoying in exactly one minute. -- Jim Gaffigan



See you again on Wednesday with new fart jokes! (in case you don't know, 'fart jokes' = my code language for 'content'. Note: may or may not actually pertain to farts)

1 comment:

Jeff Hickmott said...

Oh yeah. Love me some fart jokes. They're a gas!