Wednesday, June 02, 2010

How I spent my summer vacation

With all the crap that has been going on the last few weeks (months?) I decided to take my first vacation since...well, I don't really remember. I think it was three jobs ago, which would make it at least six years. Wow, I should probably stop waiting so long between vacations. Anyway, I didn't go anywhere (less a staycation than a brokation) but I did some stuff and here is the digest version.
SATURDAY - Didn't go to the beach but saw one of my favorite funk bands, Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band at one of my favorite venues, Skipper's Smokehouse. The Booty Band was great, as always, but the opening act was a group called The Legendary JCs out of Orlando and they were fantastic! A good old- fashioned soul revue with stops, starts, call-and-response and 20 minute funk jams. I can't wait to see them again.
SUNDAY - Another music-but-not-beach day, and speaking of favorites, I got to see one of my all-time favorite local performers AND people, Rebekah Pulley & her band, The Reluctant Prophets. They played at a place I'd never been before called Ella’s Americana Folk Art Cafe. I'm embarrassed to say I'd never been there before because it's only about five minutes from where I live. It's funky and friendly and on Sundays, they serve a soul food menu. I will be back. I had a seat where I could see the band play and the Rays beat the Houston Astros at the same time. Later that night, I served my rapidly-becoming-world-famous Beer Pork Chops for friends and watched the finale of Lost. No, I did not cry.
MONDAY - I think I just chilled at the house. I don't remember anything else. Probably should have gone to the beach but didn't.
TUESDAY - Slept in instead of going to the beach. Later, went to the Rays game and got to see manager Joe Maddon go nuts and get thrown out after Carl Crawford was ejected for arguing balls and strikes. I'm not somebody who normally criticizes our skipper (in fact, if anything I'm an apologist) but I thought he blew that situation. He should have been out of the dugout MUCH faster, as soon as Crawford started arguing, and sacrificed himself. You simply can't let your best player get thrown out in the 5th inning of a game, especially one you eventually lose by two runs.
WEDNESDAY - Worked, a side job at the Ford Amphitheatre, selling tickets. Not an ideal way to spend a vacation day (like going to the beach) but it was pretty easy (not to brag or anything, but I'm the best ticket seller in Tampa Bay) and I need the extra coin.
THURSDAY - Worked again, but from home, for my business Clark Brooks, LLC, so I didn't mind. I really wish I could make enough money to do that full time. It really can't be overstated how great it is to function in a work environment where you control all the aspects of that environment. From the AC temperature to the availability of coffee to when and how long my lunch break is to the music playing in the background. It's all about me and my comfort and as a result, I'm much happier and more productive than I would be otherwise. I also took an extended lunch break and went over to Hooters in Clearwater (which is very close to the beach) where Lynne Austin was making a promotional appearance on behalf of her radio show on 1010AM. She cracks me up and I think I will go back again next Thursday.
FRIDAY - Another Rays game, unfortunately another loss. I might start banning myself from going to the ballpark. But I was with great company so it was still a fun evening. Baseball is great in that it is the only sport where you can enjoy a game even if your team doesn't win. Also, did not go to the beach.

2 comments:

gadzooks64 said...

Such a shame that you couldn't make it somewhere beachy for your vacation. ;)

Unknown said...

I couldn't even get into a good poker game. Or a bad one.