Friday, June 11, 2010

My apology to the CEO of BP

The first time I mentioned the Gulf spill on this blog was May 4th. Since that time, I have referenced the CEO of BP by name several times. I realize now that many of my comments were hurtful and thoughtless in that I have been spelling his name incorrectly. I now know that his last name is spelled with an A and not an E. When I read that recently, I was appalled. This is a tragedy that never should have happened. And if I had simply taken the time to perform a Google search (which is more effort than BP put into it's emergency response plans that rely heavily on the input of deceased professors on how to deal with marine mammals that don't live anywhere near the Gulf) it wouldn't have happened. Perhaps I was thinking of famous people with similar names or maybe I just wasn't thinking at all. That is entirely possible. I apologize, especially to the families of famous people with similar names.

I have taken full responsibility for cleaning up the spelling errors on this blog. I've helped organize the largest spellcheck response in this blog's history. It's an ongoing process and may take a while. There's no one who wants to start spelling his name correctly more than I do. I'd like my blog back. Sure, some of my earlier efforts to correct this problem, such as attempting to cram a whole bunch of shredded vowels into his name in the hope that one of them might be correct have been less successful than I had hoped. But the work continues. More than 836 pages of dictionary and over 1,300 pages of thesaurus are working to protect rough drafts. Where typos reach the blog, a team of experts has been retained and are ready to be consulted to clean them up.
My spelling efforts will not come at any cost to taxpayers. I honestly don't think it will take another three or four months before I start spelling his name correctly. But it might. So hang in there. We will get this done. We will make this right. Eventually.

No comments: