Monday, April 09, 2007

Moonlight Chopper Serenade: All paranoids please report to the dance floor


There has been a police helicopter flying around in my neighborhood, looking for something or someone, for the last 2 1/2 hours. Earlier it was much nearer to my place, with the droning 'neeeooOOOWWMM!' sound coming and going in wide, low flying cricles. Now, it seems to be hovering in one spot, a bit further south but I can still hear it. This isn't the first time this has happened, but it always makes me feel uneasy. For one thing, the sound of helicopters overhead reminds me of the scene in Goodfellas where Henry Hill is constantly seeing them overhead as he tries to go about his business; the best capture of pure, raving (and ultimately, totally justified) paranoia ever captured on film. The other thing is, when the cops are looking this long for something or someone in your neighborhood, you can't help but wonder what the hell is going on. Who's out there and what have they done? I'll watch the news tonight and look in the paper tomorrow but there probably won't be a single mention of it. And that's pretty creepy in it's own right.

No comments: