Sunday, March 27, 2011

Muffin update: one does not subsist on muffins alone

Smack in the middle of this ongoing quest for anti-cancer fundraising and eponymous baked goodery, I am participating in Ellen Mueller's latest performance art installation, "The Waiting Room". It's a one time only deal, this Friday night (April 1st) at the opening reception for "Starting Fires", which is the name of the University of South Florida's MFA Graduation Exhibition. In addition to "The Waiting Room", Ellen will be presenting her work "The Book of Enid" at this exhibition. She's my favorite artist whom I consider a mad genius so I can't really tell you what will happen in the installation...in large part because it's not scripted and I honestly don't know. This is my third time working with Ellen (previously "Complete With Illustrated Manual" and "1st Annual Black & White Sustainability Mixer & Recognition Ceremony") and she cast me without an audition which is tremendously flattering. Obviously, I don't fit anyone's definition of an "art guy" (which is more or less some skinny cat with a pony tail who wears a lot of black and smokes cigarettes in a subdued and flamboyant manner at the same time, although yours may vary) but she keeps putting me in her stuff which is great. Maybe I'm like the Uma Thurman to her Quentin Tarantino, a proven commodity and perhaps something of a good luck charm. That's how I think of it in my mind at least. Anyway, here are the details...

"Starting Fires" (opening reception)
Friday, April 1st
7:00PM - 9:00PM
"This annual exhibition featuring Master’s Final Project works by MFA Candidates in the USF School of Art and Art History provides an opportunity for graduate students to have their work viewed by the public, as well as University faculty and colleagues, in a professional environment. This year's class includes: Robb Fladry, Ryan Foster, Zak Hemsteger, Lin Li, Francis Marquez, Justin Martin, Bruce Monroe, Daniel Moore, Ellen Mueller, Chris Otten and Jordi Williams.
Concurrent with Starting Fires, the School of Art and Art History hosts ArtHouse, a favorite annual event where open studios, special installations and performances are presented by graduate and undergraduate students of the School, and complemented by music, food and beverages."
Can't make it to this event? Well, that is truly a shame. You'll feel better after you contribute to my Relay For Life campaign to raise money to fight cancer and have Tampa's best coffee shop name a muffin after me for it.


OR MAIL CHECKS AND/OR MONEY ORDERS (payable to The American Cancer Society) TO ME AT:
3655 Coopers Pond Drive, #202,
Tampa, FL, 33614

No comments: